Ory House, Jean Lafitte Avenue, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, LA
1994 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: The Ory House, near Highland Road in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, is a typical French Creole style timber frame building of the nineteenth century. The first family believed to have lived in this particular structure was William Edmonston and his wife, Elizabeth Stamply, probably in the 1820s. The Ory House may have been their new family home. They gave birth to William Louis Edmonston, who married Mary Aucoin. Their daughter, Mary E. Edmonston, born in 1870, married John Wilton Ory, and gave birth to Elmer Eugene Ory. He married Olive Daigle and had a son, Eugene Heil Ory. He was the last adult Ory to live in this house. Eugene married Norma Elizabeth Theriot and gave birth to five daughters and a son, including Ivy Rose Ory, who married Bruce Smith. Their son, Wiley Smith, inherited the property and sold it to Dr. F. Wayne Stromeyer, the present owner. The house is constructed in the bousillage-entre-poteaux sur solle, or "mud-between-posts on a sill" method. The main wall posts are mortised into heavy cypress sills. A mixture of mud and moss was used as infill between the posts. The sills are elevated about 2 feet on cypress blocks. Evidence from nails demonstrates that the house was constructed after 1834 and before the late 1880s. Family tradition is that the house was constructed about 1830. An earlier cabin, perhaps the original settler's house survives on the property.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N147
Survey number: HABS LA-1242
Building/structure dates: ca. 1830 Initial Construction