Oregon Trunk Railway Freight Depot, Southwest First Street & Cascade Avenue, Redmond, Deschutes County, OR
Significance: The Oregon Trunk Railway Freight Depot is significant for its association with the development of the Oregon Trunk Railway, which fostered the economic and agricultural growth within the Central Oregon region. At the time of its completion in 1911, the Oregon Trunk Railway initiated rail service to what was regarded as the largest remaining portion of the United States not served by rail. The Oregon Trunk Railway was the last hand-built railroad in Oregon. The Freight Depot was completed shortly after the Passenger Depot to increase the capacity of the Redmond station. Significant individuals associated with the Oregon Trunk Railway include James J. Hill of the Great Northern Railroad and John F. Stevens and Ralph Budd, railroad engineers of national prominence. The completion of the Oregon Trunk ended what has been called the last great railroad war in the United States between Great Northern and Union Pacific Railroads.
Survey number: HABS OR-181
Building/structure dates: 1913 Initial Construction