Olive Switching Station, 13355 San Fernando Road, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA
- Upscale 2x6324x7680
Significance: The Olive Switching Station is the oldest such facility of the Department of Water and Power (Department) of the City of Los Angeles. It was a key element of the initial power development along the route of the Los Angeles Aqueduct (Aqueduct). Constructed between 1916 and 1917 at the mid-point in the 115 kilovolt (kv) transmission line from San Francisquito Power Plant No. 1 to the central receiving station in the city (now Receiving Station A), the station ensured the reliability of the system by allowing a section of any circuit on which trouble developed to be cut out without affecting service. The station remains vital to the operation of the San Francisquito power plants No. 1 and No. 2 as well as the facilities that bring water from the Owens Valley and Mono Basins to Los Angeles.
Survey number: HABS CA-2664