Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office, 129-141 North Union Street, Petersburg, Petersburg, VA
Significance: This building was designed by Ammi B. Young, first Supervising Architect of the United States Treasury, in the Italian Renaissance style. During the War between the States, it housed the Confederate military authorities, while the roof was a Confederate signal station and a favorite place from which to view the fighting on the eastern front.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-239
Survey number: HABS VA-659
Building/structure dates: ca. 1858 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1870 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1910 Subsequent Work