Oaklawn Avenue Waiting Station, Oaklawn Avenue at Fair Oaks Avenue, South Pasadena, Los Angeles County, CA
1988 Charles E. Peterson Prize, First Place
Significance: The Oaklawn Avenue Waiting Station, designed by Charles and Henry Greene and built in 1906 is an amazing combination of redwood timber, brick, cobblestone, and tile roof. Located at the edge of the Oaklawn Ave. Bridge (also designed by the Greenes and now inaccessible to cars) and Fair Oaks Avenue, the station was originally built for the passengers awaiting the "big red cars" on the Pacific Electric Line - a branch of what was once one of the greatest rapid transit systems in the country. The station also partially signified the entrance and set the tone for the handsome houses along Oaklawn Ave. Although the tracks down Fair Oaks Ave. have long since been removed, the station still stands awaiting restoration as soon as funds are available. The Waiting Station is a Registered South Pasadena Historical Landmark and has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-246
Survey number: HABS CA-2290
Building/structure dates: 1906 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 73000406