Oakland Harbor Training Walls, Mouth of Federal Channel to Inner Harbor, Oakland, Alameda County, CA
Significance: The North Training Wall is one component of the Oakland Harbor Training Walls, which defined Oakland's basic harbor footprint and are the oldest surviving remnants of nineteenth-century harbor improvements. The walls are significant for their association with the initial U.S. Army Corps of Engineers program to improve Oakland Harbor and make it accessible to ocean-going vessels. The training walls are also associated with technological advances in dredging and represent a characteristic example of nineteenth-century dry masonry construction. In addition, the walls are an excellent example of the engineering abilities of Col. George Henry Mendell, District Engineer of the Corps of Engineers, San Francisco District, from 1871-1895.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N734
Survey number: HAER CA-239
Building/structure dates: 1874-1894 Initial Construction