Norris Soldiers Station, Norris Campgrounds & Gibbon River vicinity, Lake, Teton County, WY
Significance: This post, accommodating twenty men, was the first and principal outpost established by the military in 1887 for a system of mounted patrols through the park during the summers. It soon became a post operated throughout the year for "the protection of the natural phenomena from injury, mutilation, forest fires, and firearms, and the care of animals, fish and birds." "This station catches all teams going into the park and coming out." The last statement, and the early reference to mounted patrols, refers to the need for protection of park visitors from possible stage coach robberies.
Survey number: HABS WY-21