Norfolk Manufacturing Company Cotton Mill, 90 Milton Street, Dedham, Norfolk County, MA
Significance: The 1835 mill is typical in scale of New England fabric production at the time, but is unusual because it was based on Rhode Island stone mills, rather than the more usual brick type found in Massachusetts. A builder identified only as Mr. Kinsey of Fall River built the structure from granite quarried in Dedham; he also built other mills in the area. Thomas Barrows purchased and expanded the building in 1863. During the 1930s, the mill ceased production of fabric and became instead a shoddy mill, under the name of United Waste Company. Recently the building has been modified to contain 43 condominium housing units. On the other side of the mill race, new buildings house another 43 units.
Survey number: HAER MA-80
Building/structure dates: 1835 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1863 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1985 Subsequent Work