National Park Seminary, Indian Mission, 2790 Linden Lane, Silver Spring, Montgomery County, MD
Significance: The Indian Mission building was the clubhouse for the Theta Sigma Rho sorority. The building's design was inspired by eighteenth-century Franciscan mission churches of the Far West. The early colonial Spanish architecture became popular in the 1890s, at the time when there was a revival of interest in historic American cultures and a romanticization of the American West. The revival style was first popularized in California but soon spread across the country. It was a counterpart to the more common eastern colonial designs. One scholar referred to the style as "an instant legacy far more prominent, ornate, and romantically delineated than its source." The California building at the 1893 Chicago Exposition was one of the first examples of the Mission Revival style.
Survey number: HABS MD-1109-N
Building/structure dates: 1903 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after. 1920- before. 1930 Subsequent Work