National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Northwestern Branch, Chapel, 5000 West National Avenue, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, WI
Significance: The Chapel was built in 1889 during a period of expansion for the Northwestern Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. Originally a chapel for resident veterans was located above the dining hall in the multi-purpose Main Building. Expansion of the membership and a shift away from the centralized model in the 1880s and 1890s resulted in the construction of a number of specialized new buildings, including the chapel. The wood-frame chapel was designed by prominent Milwaukee architect Henry C. Koch using the popular Shingle Style variation of Queen Anne architecture. Koch's firm was the architect for many buildings during this period of expansion including the hospital (1879), Ward Memorial Hall (1881), and the library (1891).
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1613
Survey number: HABS WI-360-E
Building/structure dates: 1889 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 05000530