Municipal Building, 350 South Fifth Street, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
Significance: The Municipal Building was constructed between 1889 and 1905 from a design by the Minneapolis architectural firm of Long and Kees. The cost was $3,554,000 which as 28¢ a cubic foot. The architectural style is Richardsonian Romanesque after the American architect, Henry Hobson Richardson. The building is similar in style to the latter's Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Construction is of pink Ortonville granite, and the building has two stately towers, one of which houses a chiming clock. The structure is characterized by massive surfaces, worked stone arches, extensive interior marble and stained glass. The original terra cotta roof was replaced by copper in 1950. ... The Municipal Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1977 was designated as a Heritage Preservation Building by the City of Minneapolis.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-14
Survey number: HABS MN-30
Building/structure dates: 1905 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74001022