PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Source
  • homeHome
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
  • account_boxLogin
Mrs. Nichols, wife of defense worker, and son, in their trailer home at Edgewater Park near Ypsilanti, Michigan. They are from Casa City, Michigan

Mrs. Nichols, wife of defense worker, and son, in their trailer home at Edgewater Park near Ypsilanti, Michigan. They are from Casa City, Michigan

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x480
  • save_altMedium1024x768
  • save_altOriginal1024x768
  • photo_size_select_largeUpscale 2x2048x1536
description

Summary

In the late 1910s, there were few gas stations, few paved roads, and no highways was a time that America’s leading historians call the beginning of modern RV. In 1920s people who traveled like this were referred to as 'tin can tourists'. As time progressed, trailers became attractive, comfortable and earned a new name "house trailer" in the 1930s and 1940s. In the late 1930s, during the Great Depression, FSA (Federal Farm Security Administration) built trailer camps to assist childless couples and families of one and two children in moving in areas where new factories were​ built, and labor was in demand. In 2005, FEMA provided temporary emergency housing using thousands of travel trailers.

date_range

Date

01/01/1941
person

Contributors

Vachon, John, 1914-1975, photographer
place

Location

michigan
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions. For information, see U.S. Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black & White Photographs http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/071_fsab.html

Exploreypsilanti

Exploreedgewater park

Exploreedgewater