Minnesota Veterans' Home Complex, Power House, 5101 Minnehaha Avenue, South, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
Significance: The Power House No. 14, originally constructed in 1888, and rebuilt in 1937, utilizing the chimney from the original structure, is one of 17 remaining structures built on a plot of land between the Mississippi River and Minnehaha Creek that the State of Minnesota acquired in 1886. The peninsula, originally called "Godfrey's Point," was donated to the State of Minnesota by the City of Minneapolis to use as its primary care facility for Veterans and their families beginning in 1888. Most of the remaining structures retain their historical significance, including the Power House, rebuilt as a WPA project in 1937. This simple Art Deco structure coexists with other predominantly Richardsonian Romanesque buildings from the late 19th century, and is, as well, significant in its own right in relation to the Minnesota Veterans' Home site and its surroundings.
Survey number: HABS MN-74-K
Building/structure dates: 1888 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1937 Subsequent Work