Melrose, Carriage House, 1 Melrose-Montebello Parkway, Natchez, Adams County, MS
Significance: The Carriage House at Melrose Plantation was built ca. 1848, concurrent with the completion of the main house. A two-story rectangular building, the Carriage House originally consisted of a large open space on the first floor for the storage of carriages, with a loft space above. Built of wood-frame construction, the building is notable for its west facade, designed in a restrained vernacular version of the Greek Revival style, to complement the architecture of the main house. A substantial wood tie beam, secured with metal straps, and an iron tie rod with turnbuckle span the second level, providing tensile support at the top of the walls. A stair was inserted along the south wall at an unknown, but possibly early date. A one-story shed addition was added to the north side of the building in the early twentieth century. The concrete floor in the original building may have been installed at that time as well.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1172
Survey number: HABS MS-61-L
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74002253