Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Filling House, Railroad Avenue west of Building No. A246, Vallejo, Solano County, CA
Significance: Building A16 was built in 1890 and was utilized as a filling house. The function of a filling house was the process of filling shells (hollow projectiles) with explosives. Once the shells were filled they were then stored in a shell house. Building A16 was a support building for the shell houses directly south that were clustered east of the Building A1 magazine. Ships coming to Mare Island for repairs would stop at the magazine wharf to off-load their explosive munitions subsequent to entering the shipyard. Building A16 is a contributing element of the Mare Island Historic District, having good historical integrity with approximately 80% of the original building existing.
Survey number: HABS CA-1543-V
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 75002103