Map exhibiting the property of the U.S. in the vicinity of the Capitol : colored red, with the manner in which it is proposed to lay off the same in building lots, as described in the report to the Sup't of the city to which this is annexed /
Covers area bounded by 2nd St. east, D St. south, 6th St. west, and D St. north, including eastern part of the Mall.
Relief shown by shading.
Partial cadastral map showing buildings, some lots, and block numbers and dimensions.
Pen-and-ink, watercolor, and lead pencil.
Oriented with north to the left.
Torn and missing small sections along edges.
Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
Includes note and survey data.
Phillips. Washington, 126
The Liberty Bell, “Stars and Stripes” or “Old Glory”, the bald eagle, the Statue of Liberty, the national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner,” the Unce Sam, symbols of U.S. States and more.
United States Capitol Free Sock Photos. Public Domain, Royalty Free Images. The United States Capitol, often called the Capitol Building or Capitol Hill, is the home of the United States Congress, and the seat of the legislative branch of the U.S. federal government. President George Washington in 1791 selected the area that is now the District of Columbia from land ceded by Maryland. French engineer Pierre Charles L'Enfant who planned the new city of Washington located the Capitol at the elevated east end of the Mall, on the brow of what was then called Jenkins' Hill. The site was, in L'Enfant's words, "a pedestal waiting for a monument." President Washington laid the cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol in the building's southeast corner on September 18, 1793, with Masonic ceremonies. Construction was a time-consuming process: the sandstone used for the building had to be ferried on boats from the quarries at Aquia, Virginia and workers had to be induced to leave their homes to come to the relative wilderness of Capitol Hill. Some third-floor rooms were still unfinished when the Congress, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, and the courts of the District of Columbia occupied the U.S. Capitol in late 1800.