[Manuscript Book mural in Evolution of the Book series, John W. Alexander. Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building, Washington, D.C.]
- Upscale 2x7680x6210
Photo of one part of a six-part mural on the history of the book; after conservation of the mural. Depicts a monk illustrating a manuscript, with two monks in background.
Mural marked at bottom left: Copyright by John W. Alexander.
Title devised by Library staff.
"61127; 046.3.D. Photographed after treatment; overall; normal light."
Stamped on verso: This photograph is the property of the legislative branch of the government and is not to be used without the approval of the Architect of the Capitol.
Perry Huston Collection of illustrated conservation reports for Jefferson Building murals.
The Library of Congress Building or the Jefferson Building is the oldest of the four United States Library of Congress buildings, built between 1890 and 1897 in Washington, DC. It is located on First Street SE, between Independence Avenue and East Capitol Street. The new building was needed because of the Copyright Law of 1870, which required all copyright applicants to send to the Library two copies of their work. This resulted in a flood of books, pamphlets, maps, music, prints, and photographs. After Congress approved construction of the building in 1886, it took eleven years to complete. The building's main architect was Paul J. Pelz, born in Prussian Silesia, initially in partnership with John L. Smithmeyer, a native of Vienna, Austria, and succeeded by Edward Pearce Casey during the last few years of construction. More than fifty American painters and sculptors produced commissioned works of art. The building opened to the public on November 1, 1897, met with wide approval and was immediately seen as a national monument. The building name was changed on June 13, 1980 to honor former U.S. President Thomas Jefferson.