Lockville Hydroelectric Plant, Deep River, 3.5 miles upstream from Haw River, Moncure, Chatham County, NC
Significance: The Lockville dam, canal, and powerhouse occupy a site which is closely associated with important events in the history of Chatham County and in the overall development of North Carolina. Lord Cornwallis is known to have used this site as a campground after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. In the early to mid-19th century, strong interest in improved river transportation systems resulted in the construction and use of a lock and canal works at the site. The canal was put back into service, beginning in 1922, to provide water power to a newly-established hydroelectric facility at the site. This power plant brought electricity to part of Chatham County and aided in the movement to bring electricity to piedmont North Carolina in the early twentieth century.
Survey number: HAER NC-35
Building/structure dates: 1855 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1922 Subsequent Work