Lincoln Highway, Running from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, Fallsington, Bucks County, PA
Significance: The Lincoln Highway was the first transcontinental automobile route linking the east and west coasts of the United States. As designated by the Lincoln Highway Association in 1913, the highway was initially no more than a concept that combined existing roads into an approximately 3,389-mile route across the country. As a concept, the highway reflected long-established desires in the American psyche to unify the eastern and western portions of the country. Reactivation of the Lincoln Highway Association in 1992, along with a strongly expressed public interest in preservation of historic resources associated with the highway, provides evidence of a continued recognition of the highway's role in the creation of American culture. In Pennsylvania, the Lincoln Highway was primarily identified in the public mind from 1913 to about 1950 as the premiere route from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, and only secondarily as a transcontinental highway.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N915
Survey number: HAER PA-592
Building/structure dates: 1913 Initial Construction