Lewis Brothers' Building, 1 South Bank, Fayetteville, Washington County, AR
1995 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: In the history of Fayetteville, the Fayetteville Square has been the functional and symbolic center of the economic, cultural, social, and political life in the town and the region. The Lewis Brothers Building is one of the two historic structures that anchor the northwest corner of the historic downtown square. The building represents a variety of style and types of architecture popular in the early 1900's. The visual contact with the exterior of the historic structure is dramatically significant. The architectural statement it makes etches a powerful image in the minds of anyone who has visited the Fayetteville Square. The preservation of its commanding presence is crucial to maintaining the cultural heritage of the community.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N205
Survey number: HABS AR-46
Building/structure dates: 1904- 1908 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1986 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 86003334