Lawrence Lewis House, 815 Franklin Street (moved to 11701 River Drive, Lorton), Alexandria, Independent City, VA
Significance: This building is important both from the standpoint of history and architectural details. It has long been dated circa 1800, but research among records of the Assurance Society of Virginia in Richmond discloses the fact it was standing in 1796, then described as a one story frame dwelling 24' x 50' with attached frame kitchen at the east end. At the time the owner was Thomas Patten and the tenant given as John Gill. The Lewises of Woodlawn afterwards acquired the property for a town residence, making it their headquarters for the winter social season, while the girls were being tutored by Benjamin Hollowell. When Lawrence Lewis died in 1839, he left his sister-in-law the use of this house, referring to it as in the "Village," doubtless meaning the south end of Alexandria. Arch Hall being documented within the 18th C., becomes an important pivotal milestone for certain details widely applied during the early years of the 19th C. Its attribution to William Thornton is conjectural, based on similarities found at Woodlawn; that is, oversize windows, roundels in pediments, arched doorways and some interior trim.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-100
Survey number: HABS VA-109
Building/structure dates: before 1796 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1951 Demolished
Building/structure dates: 1951 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000928