Lake Whitney Water Filtration Plant, Armory Street Pumphouse, North side of Armory Street between Edgehill Road & Whitney Avenue, Hamden, New Haven County, CT
Significance: This pump station represents a novel engineering solution to a problem. Reduced water supplies forced partial conversion to a more efficient pumping system. The station was originally built to supplement a water powered pumping system. The station was originally built to supplement a water powered pumping system. In 1899 it became the primary pumping facility. It is architecturally significant as an adaptation of the Italianate style to industrial use.
Survey number: HAER CT-186-B
Building/structure dates: 1870 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1934-1935 Subsequent Work