Kootenai Brown leaning against an automobile in front of his cabin
1905.17.5 cm x 12.3 cm. .Black and white photograph...John George Kootenai Brown standing behind an automobile. His cabin is behind him. Photograph taken at Waterton Lakes National Park...Born in 1839 in England, Brown immigrated to North America in 1862. He was the first permanent white resident of the park. He became its first warden and later, acting superintendent. He died in 1916 at Cardston and is buried on the shore of the lower lake with his two wives...Reproductions: Negative available..To obtain high quality and larger reproductions of this image please visit the Galt Museum & Archives website: www.galtmuseum.com/archives.htm ( http://www.galtmuseum.com/archives.htm ) and include thIs number in your request:..P19754190015
The automobile was first invented and perfected in Germany and France in the late 1890s. Americans quickly came to dominate the automotive industry after WWI. Throughout this initial era, the development of automotive technology was rapid. Hundreds of small manufacturers competing to gain the world's attention. Key developments included the electric ignition system, independent suspension, and four-wheel brakes. Transmissions and throttle controls were widely adopted and safety glass also made its debut. Henry Ford perfected mass-production techniques, and Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler emerged as the “Big Three” auto companies by the 1920s. Car manufacturers received enormous orders from the military during World War II, and afterward automobile production in the United States, Europe, and Japan soared.
The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, plays a vital role in preserving and interpreting the material culture of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta. We are a vibrant gathering place that meets historical, cultural and educational needs. We engage and educate our communities in the human history of southwestern Alberta by preserving and sharing collections, stories and memories that define our collective identity and guide our future. In 1965, the first civic museum opened its doors in Lethbridge. George McKillop was the museum's first curator. It quickly outgrew its space, and relocated to the former Galt Hospital. After considerable renovation, the Sir Alexander Galt Museum opened its doors in 1967. The Lethbridge and District Historical Society operated the museum with volunteers until 1971. Through the efforts of many people, the Galt Museum was placed in the Urban Parks program in the early 1980s and expanded once more. Reopened in 1984, new gallery space and expanded storage space allowed the museum to develop new programs and temporary exhibits, and to care for its collections in a manner that meets accepted standards of museum practice. In September 2004 the Galt Museum moved its offices and collections off-site to facilitate a second expansion which reopened on May 6, 2006. Today, The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge is an established cultural leader in southern Alberta, having contributed to the fabric of the region since the 1967. Our consistently high-calibre, award-winning exhibits and learning opportunities have drawn over 50,000 visitors a year.