Kent Plantation House, 3601 Bayou Rapides Road, Alexandria, Rapides Parish, LA
Moved in 1964 from original location, approximately 2 miles southeast of current location.
2001 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: The Kent House is the oldest known standing structure in central Louisiana. Competed in 1800, Kent House was built by Pierre Baillio II. Baillio constructed the house on land he received about 1794 from a land grant of about 500 acres in a bend of the Red River four miles downriver in the village of Alexandria. The land grant was given by the Spanish Governor of Louisiana, Baron de Carondelet. In 1842 Robert C. Hynson purchased the house from Baillio heirs. Hynson had come to Louisiana from Kent County, Maryland and the house was named for that area. In 1964 the house was moved about 2 miles northwest of the original site. Places on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, Kent House was opened to the public in 1975 after renovation was completed and house fully furnished with museum-quality items. The house is owned by the State of Louisiana and is used as a historic museum.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N615
Survey number: HABS LA-1303
Building/structure dates: 1880 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1964 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1975 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71000362