John Waggoner House, 301 First Avenue West, Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, IA
Significance: The house has a number of Italianate elements, including a projecting bay, roof accented with large brackets, and bracketed porch roof, doors and windows. The wood-frame building, now covered with cement-asbestos shingles, measures approximately 28' x 45' with projecting bays. Projecting porches were removed from the second and third floors on the west side. There are several interior features of note, including the woodwork on the stairway; door, window, and cabinet hardware; a light fixture in the living room; door and window trim; and beveled glass in the east bay window. On the second floor, there are ornamental hinges, hardware and doorknobs, as well as original bathroom light fixtures. Ornamental hinges and door hardware are also found on the third floor. The house was built in the early 1870s by John Waggoner, a carpenter who had lived in Oskaloosa since 1851, who lived here with his wife. The owner from 1973 until 1983 was Mildred Wick.
Survey number: HABS IA-184
Building/structure dates: ca. 1870 Initial Construction