Horace Allen Gasoline Station, 505 East San Carlos Street, San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA
Structure is sometimes stylistically referred to as "English Cottage" style.
Significance: This structure is an excellent example of the so-called "domestic style" that characterized gasoline station design in the late 1920s and early 1930s. With its massive brick chimney, steep shingled roof, and full-arched multi-paned windows, the station closely resembled the English Cottage style house that (for a time) rivaled the Spanish colonial type in popularity - even in California. The station was designed and built in 1931 or 1932 by San Josean Horace Allen, and originally leased to the General Petroleum Corporation of California as an outlet for their "Violet Ray" gasoline.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-108
Survey number: HABS CA-2105
Building/structure dates: 1931- 1932 Initial Construction