Holmes & Wyer Carpenters' Shop, Straight Wharf, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: One of the warehouses erected on Straight Wharf immediately after the Great Fire of 1846. 1846 - Daniel Jones, "merchant," owned a ships' supply store here up to 1846 when it was destroyed by fires. Daniel Jones died of consumption in 1848. 1849 - Charles F. Winslow, physician, bought the land from Henry H. Jones, son of Daniel Jones. 1849 - Benjamin Gardner 4th, who had built a store here right after the Fire of 1846, bought the land under his store from Dr. Winslow for $250.00, three days after the doctor had bought it. 1866 - Joseph B. Macy bought from heirs of Benjamin Gardner "land with store thereon." 1888 - Wiliam T. Swain bought from Rebecca M. Macy, widow of Joseph B. Macy, the property. Joseph B. Macy at one time owned considerable property on both sides of Straight Wharf, most of which was sold to William T. Swain. During this period, Holmes and Wyer used the space as a carpenter's shop. (According to Mrs. Walton H. Adams.) 1905 - Byron E. Pease and John K. Ayres bought from heirs of William T. Swain. 1929 - John K. Ayres land courted the property. 1937 - Frederick C. Ayers, et al, inherited property. 1940 - Robert and Margaret Facett Wilson bought from Frederick C. Ayers, et al. 1955 - Margaret Fawcett Wilson owned it. 1966 - Island Services Co. Inc. owner. 1966-to date-(19667), Sherburne Associates owners. Building is used as the "Straight Wharf Theatre."
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-206
Survey number: HABS MA-913
Building/structure dates: ca. 1849 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1939 Subsequent Work