Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Route 243, 6.9 miles south of Nebraska border, Hanover, Washington County, KS
1992 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: The Hollenberg Pony Express Station is the only Pony Express Station still standing on its original site with its original dimensions intact. It served as the most westerly Pony Express station in Kansas throughout the duration of that service, 1860-61. The Pony Express accomplished one objective: rapid, reliable communication with the Pacific Coast. But it failed with another: making a profit. As the telegraph moved west the Pony Express's route was shortened and then replaced entirely.
This station is a long, frame structure built in 1857 or 1858. It was originally built entirely of walnut on a stone foundation. Four rooms on the ground floor were used by the Hollenberg family. A fifth room contained a small stock of groceries and an unofficial post office. A sixth room served as a bar and tavern. Upstairs a loft ran the length of the building; here stagecoach and Pony Express employees had a common sleeping room. Nearby were a blacksmith shop and a large stable capable of housing 100 head of horses and oxen. Fresh mounts for the Pony Express riders were kept in this building. (Text from 1975 National Historic Landmark nomination.)
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-13
Survey number: HABS KS-59
Building/structure dates: ca. 1857 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000352