Hofherr Round Barn, County Road 650 West, Yorktown, Delaware County, IN
Significance: This round barn was designed and built by Martin Luther Hofherr in 1904 to house and feed the farm's draft horses. Since then, the farm has remained in the Hofherr family and is now owned by Grace Hofherr. The scheme of the round barn was to have the animals on the lower floor with an inner circle walkway for feeding. Also on the lower floor, there are two grain bins, two box stalls, and a bedding area. All area are directly accessible from the inner circle walkway. Round barns were very popular in Indiana during the early 1900's. They minimized the walking distance required for operation and maximized the accessibility to all parts of the barn.
Survey number: HABS IN-186
Building/structure dates: 1904 Initial Construction