Harrison's handkerchief extracts Apollos W. Harrison No. 10 South 7th Street Philadelphia / / Alphonse Bigot del. ; designed and drawn on stone by Alphonse Bigot.
Print shows a ballroom scene at a stately manor in a sylvan setting, the foreground overflowing with floral arrangements and there are two massive lampposts flanking the entrance. On the left and the right are two columns entwined with ribbons which give an alphabetical list (A-Z, from left) of the names of the essences or extracts of the essential oils offered by A.W. Harrison.
208 U.S. Copyright Office.
At head of title: Upper ten.
Signed on stone on lower left: Alphonse Bigot del.
The Library has two impressions of this print.
2nd impression Stamped on lower left: Smithsonian Institution. Jan. 25 1854.
2nd impression Inscribed in ink on lower left: 208.
Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1854 by A.W. Harrison in the clerk's office of the district court for the Eastern district of Pennsylvania.
Alois Senefelder, the inventor of lithography, introduced the subject of colored lithography in 1818. Printers in other countries, such as France and England, were also started producing color prints. The first American chromolithograph—a portrait of Reverend F. W. P. Greenwood—was created by William Sharp in 1840. Chromolithographs became so popular in American culture that the era has been labeled as "chromo civilization". During the Victorian times, chromolithographs populated children's and fine arts publications, as well as advertising art, in trade cards, labels, and posters. They were also used for advertisements, popular prints, and medical or scientific books.