Greater Light, 8 Howard Street, Nantucket, Nantucket County, MA
Significance: Located on Nantucket Island, the barn at 8 Howard Street is believed to have been built c. 1790. It was purchased in 1906 by William Holland, the town grocer, who used it to house cattle, horses and pigs. The property was purchased in 1929 by James, Anna, Gertrude, and Hanna Monaghan for Gertrude and Hanna, who converted it into their summer home. Known for their non-conformist nature, the two Quaker sisters used the converted barn to house their collection of curios. They acquired pieces from auctions, junk yards and demolition sites throughout the eastern United States. These pieces came from all over the world, giving the house its eclectic character. In 1972 the Nantucket Historical Association inherited the property from Hanna. It is still owned by the Association today.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N714
Survey number: HABS MA-1306
Building/structure dates: ca. 1790 Initial Construction