Granite Hill Plantation, Quarry No. 1, South side of State Route 16, 1.3 miles northeast east of Sparta, Sparta, Hancock County, GA
Significance: Granite Hill Plantation historically consisted of 1,547 acres amassed by Andrew Jackson Lane, a wealthy Hancock County planter. The plantation was one of the largest in the county, and is associated with both the antebellum agricultural reform movement and early granite quarrying. This quarry is one of four on the former Granite Hill Plantation site that were put into use as early as 1850 to provide building materials throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and these early quarrying techniques are evident at the site.
Survey number: HAER GA-156-A
Building/structure dates: ca. 1868 Initial Construction