Gas station attendant at service station filling tank of a motorist's Dodge car. Washington, D.C.
Founded as the Dodge Brothers Company by brothers Horace Elgin Dodge and John Francis Dodge in 1900, Dodge was originally a supplier of parts and assemblies for Detroit-based automakers and began building complete automobiles in 1915, predating the founding of Chrysler Corporation.
The gas station is a dying art, one that helped shape the course of American travel over the course of the XXth century. Some old gas stations have ended up on the National Register of Historic Places, but most of those solely act as landmarks and aren’t operational. Many been repurposed as restaurants or museums or even still offer their original services so visitors have an opportunity to interact with former roadside staples.