Fort Snelling Complex, Administration Building, Taylor Avenue, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
Significance: In 1851 Fort Snelling was designated administrative headquarters for the Department of Dakota and was expanded greatly by construction of a new post. The year before this post headquarters building had been completed for $27,000; the focal point for the expanded complex, it became the administration building for the department. A massive two-story brick block on a raised stone foundation, it features a symmetrical facade dominated by a central four-story clock tower. The building has most recently been used as office and classroom space for the Army National Guard. It has undergone minor interior alterations of space and finish and removal of some exterior architectural elements. Today, as the adjacent airport and highway have nibbled at the periphery of the Fort and the Administration Building has been vacated, its future is clouded.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-25
Survey number: HABS MN-56-L
Building/structure dates: 1880 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000401