Fort Sam Houston, Gift Chapel, Wilson Street, between Hancock & Connell Roads, San Antonio, Bexar County, TX
Significance: The "Gift" Chapel was the first permanent religious institution built expressly for the servicemen and their families at Fort Sam Houston. The property was donated by the City of San Antonio and construction funds were contributed by both San Antonio Community leaders and military personnel; hence the name: "Gift" Chapel. The Chapel, designed by local architect Leo M. J. Dielmann, has distinct Beaux-Arts influences typical of the period. It was dedicated in an elaborate ceremony in October, 1909 by President William Howard Taft, although it has not been finished at that time. The chapel has remained in active use by military personnel of all demoninations since its dedication.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-183
Survey number: HABS TX-3303-7
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 75001950