Fort Larned, Commanding Officer Quarters, Larned, Pawnee County, KS
Significance: Fort Larned was originally built of adobe. In 1865 the first stone structure was erected. By 1868 there were ten permanent sandstone buildings. Nine of these still stand to be viewed by the public. The Commanding Officer's Building was the middle building of the three officers quarters. It had four rooms that were fourteen feet by sixteen each, a kitchen, nineteen feet by sixteen feet and a servant's room upstairs. This building still contains the basic plan, however, it has been extensively remodeled and modernized in recent years as a residence for the owner, R. R. Frizell. The original building was probably erected in 1867, built of sandstone, with a shingle roof and a broad portico in front facing the parade grounds.
Survey number: HABS KS-28
Building/structure dates: ca. 1867 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000107