Fort Larned, Barracks (West), Larned, Pawnee County, KS
Significance: Fort Larned was originally built of adobe. In 1865 the first stone structure was erected. By 1868 there were ten permanent sandstone buildings. Nine of these still stand to be viewed by the public. The building of barracks probably began in late 1865, since a drawing made in June 1867 shows one set of barracks completed. Each building was designed to accommodate two companies. The space allotted each company was 40' x 40' with a ceiling of about 10'. The walls were native sandstone, with the roof structure of pine timbers. These two buildings contained, besides the dormitories: mess rooms, kitchens, orderly rooms, storage, and washhouse. By 1874 the fort had become less important, as reflected by the smaller garrisons stationed there. Since a substantial part of the barracks was empty, the northeastern half of the barracks was made into a hospital. This new hospital had two wards, a mess room, dispensary, kitchen, storeroom, and attendant's room.
Survey number: HABS KS-21
Building/structure dates: ca. 1866 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1884 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1919-1920 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000107