Fort Jefferson Lighthouse: Dry Tortugas, west of Key West, Florida
Local call number: DM0251..Title: Fort Jefferson Lighthouse: Dry Tortugas, west of Key West, Florida..Date: July 1986..General note: Located 70 miles west of Key West, Fort Jefferson was built between 1846 and 1875 to protect the main shipping channel leading into the Gulf of Mexico. During the Civil War, Fort Jefferson held several conspirators involved in the Abraham Lincoln assassination, including Dr. Samuel Mudd. The army discontinued active use of the fort in 1888, at which time it became a quarantine station for the Marine Hospital Service. In 1935, Franklin Roosevelt designated the site as Fort Jefferson National Monument. It was later listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1970), and is today part of the National Park System. ..Physical descrip: 1 slide - col...Series Title: Dale M. McDonald Collection ( http://www.floridamemory.com/photographiccollection/collections/?id=28 ) ..Repository: State Library and Archives of Florida ( http://www.floridamemory.com/ ) , 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA. Contact: 850.245.6700. Archives@dos.state.fl.us ..Persistent URL: www.floridamemory.com/items/show/97602 ( http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/97602 ) ..Visit Florida Memory to see more images of Fort Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas ( http://www.floridamemory.com/solr-search/results/?q=("Fort Jefferson "("Fla")"" OR tt:"Fort Jefferson "("Fla")""^10) AND collection:"Florida Photographic Collection"&searchbox=1&query="Fort Jefferson (Fla)"&year=&gallery=0&search-type= ) .