Fort David A. Russell, Veterinary Hospital, Third Street & Second Avenue, Cheyenne, Laramie County, WY
Significance: This is a large building typical of the stable (buildings) constructed at Fort D.A. Russell during the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Built in accord with the stylistic precedent set by the 1885 building campaign at Fort Russell, this utilitarian structure demonstrates the importance to a consistent visual image to the planners of Fort Russell. In a practical sense, it was a key building for a military base dependent upon horses and mules, and played a critical role in the functioning of the Fort. At the high point of cavalry and supply activity, the occupants of the hospital were responsible for the well-being of two thousand mules and one thousand horses.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-12
Survey number: HABS WY-66
Building/structure dates: 1908 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000191