Fifth Street Viaduct, Spanning Bacon's Quarter Branch Valley on Fifth Street, Richmond, Independent City, VA
Significance: The Fifth Street Viaduct is a reinforced concrete bridge consisting of seven double-span rigid frames supported on expansion piers and stiff towers. Built in 1933 by the Richmond Bridge Corporation with aid from the U.S. Reconstruction Finance Corporation, the viaduct carries Fifth Street over Bacon's Quarter Branch valley to link the Richmond neighborhoods of Highland Park and Jackson Ward. A representative rigid frame reinforced concrete viaduct of the 1920-1940 period, the Fifth Street Viaduct is a significant multiple-span bridge designed by the prominent New York City bridge engineer Alfredo C. Janni.
Survey number: HAER VA-67