PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Source
Fenwick Hall Plantation, Northeast of intersection of River Road & Maybank Highway, Johns Island, Charleston County, SC

Fenwick Hall Plantation, Northeast of intersection of River Road & Maybank Highway, Johns Island, Charleston County, SC

 
 
description

Summary

2013 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Second Place
Significance: Constructed in the mid-eighteenth century, Fenwick Hall on Johns Island, Charleston County, South Carolina is one of the preeminent eighteenth-century brick plantation houses in the South Carolina Lowcountry. One of the earliest surviving examples of Georgian architecture in the Lowcountry, Fenwick Hall is the only surviving eighteenth-century building on Johns Island. Enduring both the American Revolution and the Civil War undamaged, Fenwick Hall was used by British General Sir Henry Clinton as a headquarters during the Siege of Charleston in 1780. Culturally, Fenwick Hall's eighteenth-century owners played a leading role in the introduction of English thoroughbred horses to the American South and in the breeding of Euro-American race horses. Evidence of this cultural practice remains visible in the form of repurposed and highly altered stables which are part of the complex of buildings surrounding Fenwick Hall. Architecturally, the house is distinguished by an unusually large entry salon and a large, two-story, Federal-style dining wing with octagonal ends added to the west gable end of the eighteenth-century house. Victor and Marjorie Morawetz of New York acquired the house and its extensive grounds in the 1930s and retained Charleston architect Albert Simons to restore the main house after a long period of neglect. Simons is widely acknowledged as a leading figure in the beginnings of the modern historic preservation movement in Charleston and his restoration of Fenwick Hall, carried out with Colonial Revival flair, is an important contribution to his body of work.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1954
Survey number: HABS SC-646
Building/structure dates: ca. 1750 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1930 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1787 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 72001196

date_range

Date

1750
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Simons, Albert, Architect
Morawetz, Victor, Owner
Morawetz, Marjorie, Owner
Clinton, Henry
Fenwick, John
Aydin, Caglar, delineator
Bartlett, Laurel, delineator
Causey, Charlotte, delineator
Kerlin, Lia Farina, delineator
Ferguson, Katherine, delineator
Finnigan, Kelly, delineator
Ford, Emily, delineator
Fuhrmann, Robert, delineator
Golden, Lauren, delineator
Haremski, Elise, delineator
Harvey, Elyse, delineator
Johnson, Julianne, delineator
Lavalle, Brittany, delineator
Long, Rebecca, delineator
Madill, Wendy, delineator
Marasco, Stefanie, delineator
Nickels, Neale, delineator
Quandt, Rebecca, delineator
Reynolds, Joseph, delineator
Schley, Mary Margaret, delineator
Schwartz, Mariah, delineator
Sondermann, Karl, delineator
Tew, Julia, delineator
Tianying, Sun, delineator
Uebel, Amy Elizabeth, delineator
Valiente, Syra, delineator
Watts, Daniel, delineator
Weirick, David, delineator
Weidman, Jamie, delineator
Kendrick, Pamela, field team supervisor
Shaw, Liz, field team supervisor
Leifeste, Amalia, faculty sponsor
Wilson, Ashley R., faculty sponsor
Dinler, Mesut, delineator
Yambay, Fabiana, delineator
place

Location

charleston county32.71443, -80.09157
Google Map of 32.7144305, -80.0915693
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explorecharleston