The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
Excavation for the International Fur Exchange building on the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets

Excavation for the International Fur Exchange building on the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets

 
 
description

Summary

Excavation for the International Fur Exchange building on the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets. The Old Court House is visible at right. St. Louis was a major fur trading center during the 19th and 20th centuries. The International Fur Exchange Building is the only building still standing from St. Louis' fur trading heyday. Around the time this building was constructed, 60-70% of all furs trapped in North America were sold in St. Louis. The International Fur Exchange building was at one time the largest fur exchange in the world. A tall, two-story room for auctioning furs was located on the top floor of the building to provide natural light for buyers to inspect the furs. Demolition of the building was halted in 1997 when Druco. Inc. purchased the building and the adjacent American Zinc Building and converted the property into a Drury Hotel.Title: Excavation for the International Fur Exchange building on the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets.

date_range

Date

1919
create

Source

Missouri History Museum
copyright

Copyright info

public domain