Edward Washington House, 10913 Belmont Boulevard, Lorton, Fairfax County, VA
Significance: At Belmont Bay stands what is left of the home of two successive Edward Washingtons. It is doubtless one of the oldest structures in Fairfax County. Reportedly the original houses contained five rooms with cellar and is believed to have been built by Catesby Cocke about 1730 when the first Prince William Courthouse was established on the Occoquan. Cocke served as clerk for Stafford, Prince William counties until 1746. About 1866, Belmont was acquired by the Haislips and their family annals record how most of the early home was torn down and replaced by a comfortable frame building.
Survey number: HABS VA-578
Building/structure dates: ca. 1730 Initial Construction