Drum Barracks Officers' Quarters, 1053-1955 Cary Avenue, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA
Significance: The Officers' Quarters and nearby Powder Magazine of Drum Barracks are all that remain of the Federal Army Post built in Wilmington in 1862 to protect Union interests in the Southwest - mainly as a supply depot. It was in continuous use until about 1868 when all troops had been withdrawn. The building, in excellent condition and with no major alterations, closely follows its early form, a late Greek Revival style with the hipped roof of the earlier Federal style and the brackets of the emerging Tuscan style. During the Civil War the building was used as the southwestern terminus of the telegraph line, linking California with the East. In 1927, the Officers' Quarters was marked by the Rudecinda Parlor #230, Native Daughters of the Golden West. It was registered as State Historic Monument #169 in 1935 and in 1963 was submitted to the Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Board as an historic monument by the Southern California Chapter, American Institute of Architects. The Board accepted this recommendation on June 7, 1963.
Survey number: HABS CA-353
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 71000161