Dallas Compress Company, 2010 Alabama Avenue, Selma, Dallas County, AL
Significance: The warehouse complex consists of 25 c. 1870s and c. 1880s brick warehouses with 12 inch firewalls and fire doors. The buildings flank Alabama Avenue and are contained between Alabama Avenue, Selma Avenue, and Maxey Street to the north, and Alabama Avenue, Water Avenue, and Maxey Street to the south. The company's loading dock fronts rail lines running along Water Avenue on the southern portion of the complex. Few decorative details mark the structures. Floors in most buildings are wood with gaps between planks for air circulation. A small number of buildings possess cement floors that became common in later cotton warehouses. Skylights deliver natural light to the warehouse interiors. The nineteenth-century buildings have 298, 198 feet square under roof. A small press is located in warehouse #1 and is used to re-press loose bales. The principle compress, a 1923 machine that the company purchased used in the 19709s, resides in warehouse #27.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N895
Survey number: HAER AL-197
Building/structure dates: after. 1870- before. 1889 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after 1972 Subsequent Work