Clement Weaver House, 125 Howland Road, East Greenwich, Kent County, RI
Significance: The Clement Weaver House is one of Rhode Island's seventeenth-century treasures, with a construction history that began in 1679. Originally it was a one-room, end-chimney house type with a lean-to on the north. Expanded three times before 1750 (expanded first over the lean-to; then to rear; then with kitchen ell), the house hints at its evolution through the pair of staircases by the chimney that rise to a wedge-shaped landing and then, separately, to the garret rooms. The sequence of construction was identified during the restoration by the architect Norman Morrison Isham.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-32
Survey number: HABS RI-46
Building/structure dates: 1679 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1937-1940 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: before 1750 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 95001266