Central Railroad of New Jersey, Allentown Station, Race & Hamilton Streets, Allentown, Lehigh County, PA
- Upscale 2x7680x6094
Significance: A polychromatic exterior results from the use of a variety of building materials, which include: pressed brick, cream sandstone, granite, flat cut brownstone, and grey rock faced ashlar. This structure is an interesting combination of horizontal and vertical elements, with the outstanding feature being a large tower, which at one time displayed a Seth Thomas clock driven by counter weights. Of further interest are the ornamental ridge flashing, relieving round arch, decorative stone bands, foliated forms, and iron supported passenger platforms and semi-circular arched openings. The Allentown Station at Race and Hamilton Streets was officially opened March 17, 1890. An addition at the rear of the building was completed in 1915. In August 1979, the building was sold with the expectation that it would be converted into a restaurant.
Survey number: HAER PA-150
Building/structure dates: 1890 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1915 Subsequent Work