Canton Tea Company and Union Fire Company Number Two, Fourth and Olive Street, Northwest Corner
Union Fire Company Number Two in front of Canton Tea Company on the northwest corner of Fourth and Olive Streets. Other individuals can be seen on the street and many women stand the balcony of the corner building. This building is labeled "Canon Tea Company" and also "C.M. Ligget's Double Entry Bookkeeper". Under C.M. Ligget's can also be seen "Writing and Stylographic Card Marking" with the side of this sign indicating that this is a "Commercial Writing and Card Marking Academy". More architecture, including a church steeple, can be seen off to the right.
E. Burritt, along with Thomas Easterly, was an early daguerreotypist active in St. Louis during the middle of the 19th century. Burritt came to St. Louis in 1846 and opened his New Daguerrean Saloon on Market Street. In 1850 he had opened the National Daguerrean Gallery at the corner of Second and Market Streets. By 1852 he had fallen out of favor and had moved upstairs on the corner of 4th and Olive, seen here.Title: Canton Tea Company and Union Fire Company Number Two, Fourth and Olive Street, Northwest Corner.