Bob Peck Chevrolet, 800 North Glebe Road, Arlington, Arlington County, VA
- Upscale 2x5584x7680
Significance: When it opened in 1964, the Bob Peck Chevrolet dealership at the corner of Glebe and Wilson, one of Ballston's major transportation crossroads, quickly became one of Arlington's landmarks. Making the most of its location, the site plan featured a distinctive, transparent circular showroom made of glass and chrome with a butterfly roof line that created a frieze of diamond-shaped, blue panels. Lettering within the panels spelled "Chevrolet." The buildings of the dealership were demolished in 2007.
The showroom was an outstanding example of automotive-inspired commercial architecture, and it was part of a larger design oeuvre for the industry that peaked in the 1960s. The only rival to the forward-looking, sleek and aerodynamic buildings of the car dealerships were the chrome and fin enhanced machines on display inside.
Survey number: HABS VA-1413
Building/structure dates: 1963-1964 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 2007-2008 Demolished