Blendon Estate, Tenant House, 11747 Park Heights Avenue, Owings Mills, Baltimore County, MD
Significance: The Blendon Estate tenant house has been cited by registration form for the Caves Valley National Register Historic District as "a contributing resource with a high level of integrity and historic and architectural significance to the nomination." Apparently built as a dwelling for tenant farmers working on the northeast portion of "The Caves" estate of the Carroll family, the original, south section of the tenant house was constructed in the 19th century, possibly before 1850. The tenant house was associated with the nearby vernacular bank barn from the time that the barn was constructed in the middle to late 19th century. The tenants of the house were responsible for the livestock and hay-raising operations of John Henry Carroll, and his son, John Nicholas Carroll, on the northeast section of their estate. Although substantially rebuilt and remodeled in the 20th century, the dwelling continued with a similar function after the 1930's, serving as a home for employees of the families who lived in the Breed-Krongard House on the hill above.
Survey number: HABS MD-994-A
Building/structure dates: 1850
Building/structure dates: 1900 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 88001859